ITAC Meeting Minutes
Thursday August 28, 2014
- The annual CIT Showcase is being held in the fall this year on October 13th; Mark your calendars.
- At the last ITAC meeting, many people were bemused to see twitch(link is external), a site where viewers watch others playing video games, was on the top 10 list of Websites used on campus. It was bought by Amazon for $1B yesterday. On a typical night, there is as much traffic as Comedy Central or MTV. For example, last fall during the League of Legends Tournament, Twitch had more viewers than the season/series finales of multiple top TV shows combined.
- The blue 20-ft shipping container outside the Bryan Center is a maker space housing 3D printers and laser cutters. There are a number of such spaces under development on Duke’s campus with a lot of interest from undergraduates in Engineering and Arts & Sciences and will be discussed in September25th ITAC meeting.
- The DAS Cellular Head-End (link is external)will be live by the next time we meet. Verizon is finishing construction tomorrow and will begin commissioning next week. Environmental Hall will be the first building, with completion target by the end of Q1 2015 (March 31, 2015). Verizon, Sprint and AT&T (Question)
- Duke Gardens is now live with Wi-Fi.